Home » India » Delhi » Delhi City » Gurudwara Bangla Sahib

Gurudwara Bangla Sahib

Gurudwara Bangla Sahib is Delhi’s most important Gurudwara and is dedicated to the eighth Sikh Guru, Guru Har Krishnan. It was originally built in 1783 by the Sikh General Sardar Bhagel Singh on the site of a bungalow belonging to Mirza Raja Jai Singh, a military leader under the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb. Guru Har Krishnan lived in this bungalow during his stay in Delhi in 1664. A smallpox and cholera epidemic began, and the Guru helped the ailing by providing them with fresh water from the well. Unfortunately, he contracted the illness as well and passed away soon afterwards. A tank was constructed over the well, which is now called ‘Sarovar’ while its water, known as ‘Amrit’ is believed to have healing powers.

The grounds of the Gurudwara hold the main temple, the holy pond ‘Sarovar’, a kitchen, an art gallery, two schools, a library, a hospital and a museum. The concept of ‘Langar’, that is; people of all races and religions may eat together; is held up here, as with all Gurudwaras, and food prepared by the gursikhs and volunteers is served in the Langar hall. Volunteers are also happily accepted, regardless of religion.

Gurudwara Bangla Sahib can be found on the east intersection of Ashok Road and Baba Kharag Singh Marg in Connaught Place, New Delhi.


Contact Our Tour Planner
[Get quotes, travel itinerary, bookings]
Contact Details

   Iternational Attraction