Home » India » Delhi » Delhi City » Parliament House

Parliament House

The Parliament House, also known as Sansad Bhavan, houses the Parliament of India. Designed by Edwin Lutyens and Herbert Baker, the foundation stone was laid on 12th February 1921 by His Royal Highness, The Duke of Connaught. The building took 6 years to construct before it was opened and inaugurated by Lord Irwin, the then Governor-General of India on 18th January 1927. 560 feet in diameter, the Parliament House is an enormous circular building which covers an area of almost 6 acres and has a circumference of 1760 feet. The 1st floor verandah is circled by 144 sandstone columns, each 27 feet in height. The building has 12 gates of which the Sansad Marg is used as the main entrance.

The centre of the Parliament House is the Central Hall. Radiating from it are the Lok Sabha (People’s Council), the Rajya Sabha (State Council) and the Library Hall, once known as the Prince’s Chamber. These three chambers are surrounded by a four storied circular building which contains accommodation and offices for the various chairmen, ministers and other house officials. The 1st floor holds 3 Committee Rooms for Parliamentary Committee Meetings, and three more for Press Correspondents, who attend the meetings. The wall of the corridor on the ground floor is decorated with panels depicting scenes from India’s history. Statues and busts of famous Indians can also be found throughout the Parliament.

The parliament House can be found at the end of Sansad Marg in New Delhi.


Contact Our Tour Planner
[Get quotes, travel itinerary, bookings]
Contact Details